Monday, October 20, 2008

Being a single parent

I have to tell you how much I admire and respect single parents. My mother was one for many years and sometimes I don't know how she did it. I am a stay-at-home mom and still can't seem to accomplish even the simplest tasks with all that is required in taking care of my home and my family. I can't imagine how single parents get it all done.

Now to the reason for this blog. As I shared in an earlier blog, my husband recently began a new job after 16 months of unemployment. I hear people talk about how their spouses drive them crazy when they are around the house too much, but not me. I loved having my husband home. I had someone to help out with all the mundane tasks that had to be accomplished and if I needed to run to the store for a minute he could watch the kids. Not to mention the adult companionship that so many of us stay at home parents long for. I knew having him back at work would be an adjustment.

He has now been at work for four weeks. Every week so far he has been out of town for at least one night. He left again this morning for another two days. He has traveled in the past, but never this much. It is to be expected with a new job and I understand completely. I just didn't realize how hard of an adjustment it was going to be. Being the only one to take care of the kids, take them to all of their various functions and making sure the homework gets done, meals get cooked, etc. etc. etc. is exhausting. And why is it that kids are so much more difficult and whiny when dad isn't around? I admit I'm probably alot more on edge and stressed when he is gone as well. His travels help me realize how lucky I am to have him around to help out and so much more aware of the plight of single parents. At least I know my discomfort is short lived and that he will be coming back. Doing it all on your own every day without help, well, I couldn't begin to imagine.

So, my point, if you know any single parents, think about ways to help them out. Run errands for them, babysit their kids so they can have a night out, offer to mow their lawn. There are a number of ways we could reach out and try to make their lives a little more manageable.

2 comments:

FOOTBALL MAN said...

I like your blogs, looking forward to your future updates.

Tracy said...

Thank you football man!